Sunday, November 21, 2010

Would you recommend an acting coach?

Okay, so I've always been told I'm a ';great actress'; from family and friends and teachers, but lately and a lot of times, I really don't feel like it. I have a low confidence level when I'm on stage and I become embarrassed when told I'm doing something completely wrong, and mad if I'm told it repeatedly. I love my drama teacher at my school, but I don't think she's helping me much. I have been thinking about having acting as a career as an adult, and hopefully going to Yale for that, but I know that I have to overcome my low self confidence on stage or when I do something wrong. But I need help with that, an dI don't know what or who else to turn to for that. And my grades are falling too, so that is making it even more once since I'm usually a strait A student. I don't know what to do. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are my idols at the moment because of how great of actors they are and how they got discovered (and because Twilight was THE BEST movie ever. I saw it tonight). And I was thinking maybe an acting coach would help me with that? What do they do? Could they help me with what I want? And also, I'm good at acting normal, like people do in movies and stuff, or romance stuff, but the totally dramatic ';NOOO!'; moment when someone dies or something, I can't do. It's just awkward. I can't do the sobbing ';boo hoo'; totally over the top dramatic stuff. Just like the movie stuff I've noticed. And we are doing Our Town s our school play and I got the lead Emily and the end she's all ';goodbye world!'; and stuff, and it's weird. Could an acting coach help me with all of this? I would really like to pursue my dreams. Would you recommend an acting coach?
Don't feel embarrassed. It's going to take a lot of restraint, but don't. You're only going to annoy the director that way, and it's not productive. If you were a professional, you probably would hurt your chances of getting work.





You're not doing anything *wrong*. That's not what it's about. The director is feeling his or her way through the production just as much as you are feeling your way through the character. It's a discovery process, and no one has all of the answers. Okay? You're fine. The director's job is to help refine your performance while telling a story.





Stop thinking about acting in terms of ';dramatic'; and ';normal'; and think of acting in terms of reality. You are *being* someone, you're not *pretending* to be someone. You're not being a stereotype or an emotion, you're being a real person in real time. If you don't do it in real life, don't do it on stage. You're not going, ';Oh, this is what I'm supposed to do.'; Acting is about acting and *re*acting. If you're thinking too much about what you're doing instead of just doing it, then likely, you're doing it wrong.





I wouldn't go with an acting coach, but if you want to, fine. Go ahead. Just make sure you research him or her and make sure that they have actually had reputable experience.





Personally, I would wait until you're older and audition for acting colleges. I recommend this to just about everyone because I feel it's the best way to get the training you need. They provide everything for you, and you'll be older: you'll have a crystallized idea of what you want to do with your life regarding your career, and you'll have a better emotional register (which it sounds like you have a real problem accessing at the moment. You'll outgrow it.)





:)Would you recommend an acting coach?
Rather than seeing yourself as 'doing something wrong' see it as an opportunity to learn and grow. All directors worth their salt will expect an actor to be able to interpret a scene several ways, which may or may not include your own ideas (often, not). That is what you are paid for.





Taking it personally shows you haven't developed the maturity to separate yourself from receiving directions as a professional actor, to believing it's about you as a person. Nothing could be further from the truth.





I would only engage an acting coach to assist me with preparation for a challenging audition or performance or character.
Are you kidding me ? Both of the crappy actors you mentioned suck at acting . If you act the same way as them, than in no way are you even to be considered a '; great actress ';





PS : Twilight amongst the worst movies of the year .
chya boii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no. possibly you could take some acting classes but dont waste money on a coach

No comments:

Post a Comment